Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sunday Author Interview with Brandy Miller





We are thrilled to have Brandy Miller with us today for our Sunday Author Interview.

Donna: Welcome Brandy. We are thrilled to have you with us today for our Sunday Author Interview. 
Brandy: It's a pleasure to be here.

Donna: Let's jump right in. How did you come up with the idea for your book, The Write Time?
Brandy: My inspiration for The Write Time actually came from starting a writer’s group. 

Donna: How did that inspire you?
Brandy: One of the things I did with the group was to create a membership registration form and ask them their biggest obstacle to writing.  90% of them told me it was finding the time to write.  As I began to join online writer’s groups, I heard the same thing over and over again.  People have stories to tell, they have things they want to share with others, but they just don’t know how to work it in to their increasingly busy schedules.  That’s when I knew I had something worth offering.  I knew I could help them find the time to write.

Donna: I love the book. I found it a quick read, filled with great advice. I'm using it to help with my scheduling. Do you have difficult finding time for your writing? I have a feeling you wear a lot of hats.
Brandy: I’m a wife, a mother, a business owner, and I volunteer quite a bit in my community and my church.  In the last six months, I’ve managed to publish three books, I have a fourth one that is in the process of being edited, I have two more that need rewriting, and I have several lined up and in various stages of being finished. I really do know what it’s like to be so busy you just don’t think you have time for one more thing.  However, what I figured out six months ago is that it doesn’t take a lot of time to write a book.  What it takes is discipline and figuring out what your goals are so that you know how much time you need to make those happen.

Donna: It looks like you practice what you preach.
Brandy: I know that a mother of a newborn who is a full time employee isn’t likely to be able to find more than 10 minutes of free time in a given day, but that doesn’t mean she can’t write a book.  It just means that she needs to be very organized in her approach to writing.  She needs to make sure that she keeps all of her backstory information, her world information, her research, and her previous day’s writing in a binder or a folder and keep that in a bag with every other tool she uses for her writing.  That way, when she can find those 10 spare minutes - and believe me, I know it’s a challenge - she can swing right back into writing mode and make the most of those precious minutes. You aren’t going to write a book in 40 days with only 10 minutes a day unless you’re a much faster typist than I am, but you can certainly get it done in three years at that pace. 

Donna: I understand.
Brandy: I also want to emphasize that the point of this book isn’t to get you to add one more thing to your to-do list.  The point of it is to help you take a step back and look at your life and your schedule objectively.  Where are you spending your time, and are you really working toward the things that matter most to you? If you aren’t, then ask yourself why you’re doing those things in the first place and whether or not you can either reduce the amount of time you spend on those things or eliminate them from your schedule altogether to make room in your life for the things that really do matter.

Donna: I think you are on to something big. 
Brandy: It’s easy to let writing, or work, or our hobbies take over our lives but that’s no recipe for happiness in the long run.  Make sure that you give yourself time for spending with your faith, your family, and your friends, so that at the end of your life you have made more than just books - you’ve made a difference in the world in a positive way.  Character development, something I have also written about, flows out of the relationships you have with the people in your life and so if you are cutting yourself off from relationships you are really cutting into your ability to develop characters that people can relate to easily. 

Donna: Where can our readers find your book?
Brandy: The Write Time is available on Amazon in either print format or eBook format.  The print book is nearly identical to the ebook version, but the main difference is that the print book is actually designed as a workbook with plenty of space to record your responses to the exercises in the book.  There is a workbook you can purchase to accompany the ebook for the same effect.  I also have created a time journal for use with The Write Time that includes inspirational quotes to help you get more out of your time. 

Donna: This is a book that I am recommending to everyone I know who is interested in writing. Thanks for taking the time to visit with us today and talk about your new book. 
Brandy: Thank you.  

Links to Brandy Miller and The Write Time

Brandy Miller 40DayWriter.com
The Write Time (print)            http://www.amazon.com/The-Write-Time-write-book/dp/0615790879
The Write Time Journal           http://www.amazon.com/Write-Time-Journal-track-where/dp/148485246X







Because we each have to find our own way...
The Wayward Gifted: Broken Point

A coming of age story loaded with angst & adventure
For adolescents through adults.


Thanks for joining us.
We're glad you're here.
Donna and Mike
The Wayward Gifted - Broken Point