Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Wayward Gifted in Large Print - Keratoconus


Several people have asked why Mike and I chose to offer The Wayward Gifted in large print format as well as regular and Kindle format. We didn't do it as a gimmick. The reason was personal. I have an eye disease called Keratoconus. The simple explanation is that my cornea is no longer shaped like a basketball. It's shaped more like a cone. I'm legally blind in my left eye because of the severity of the disease. My right eye is affected, but correctable. Living with this issue makes me thankful for the sight that I have, and also makes me aware that there are many people who suffer from various eye problems that make reading difficult or even impossible.

I wanted to use a very large font when printing The Wayward Gifted in large print. I began working with one that was in the size twenty range and quickly saw a 230 page book grow to over 900. So, I backed the size down until I found one that was printable and met the standards set by the American Foundation of the Blind. An eighteen is preferred, but a sixteen is acceptable. We went with the sixteen.

According to the College of Optometry at Pacific University in Oregon Keratoconus affects approximately 5 of every 10,000 people in the US. However, it's not a picky disease. It affects both men and women in every region of the world, and also of every ethnicity.

Diagnosed at the age of 23, I remember being shocked. This happened so gradually to my eyes that I had no idea until an ophthalmologist told that I had lost my vision in my left eye.

Do you know anyone with Keratoconus?

The National Keratoconus Foundation is a great resource for anyone interested in learning more about the disease.


Mike and I are holding another giveaway on GoodReads. This one is for two large print copies of The Wayward Gifted: Broken Point. The drawing will take place May 21st. Please share this with anyone you know who might enjoy the larger size print.






Because we each have to find our own way... 
 The Wayward Gifted: Broken Point

 A coming of age story loaded with angst & adventure 
 For adolescents through adults.


 Thanks for joining us. We're glad you're here. Donna and Mike
The Wayward Gifted - Broken Point