Sunday, May 5, 2013

Sunday Author Interview - M.L. LeGette


We're excited to feature author M.L. LeGette today on our Sunday Author Interview.

Donna: Thank you for joining us.
M.L. LeGette: My pleasure

Question: Where are you from? Is M.L. LeGette a pen name?
Answer: I was born in Georgia and still live in the state? Yes, M.L. LeGette is my pen name, but I really like it when people call me Melissa.

The Tale of Mally Biddle


Donna: I'm curious about the title of your new book, The Tale of Mally Biddle. How would you describe it for our readers?
Melissa: The book has a festive, fun feel. There is a lot of feasting and hot chocolate drinking and mushroom (the edible kind) gathering. It's a family friendly adventure. If you're game for castles, feasts, quirky characters, murder and full out entertainment, I'd give it a look.

Donna: Sounds wonderful, especially the hot chocolate drinking.  When did you know that you were a writer?
Melissa: Oddly enough it was my mom who suggested the profession. I was busily penning my first novel and telling her about it when she asked "Melissa, what do you want to do when you grow up?" (I was probably 15 at the time.) I said, "I don't know." (And I really didn't.) Shen then said "Why don't you be a writer?" The question rather blew me away. It had never dawned on me that I could be a writer. But it was so obvious. I haven't looked back since.

Donna: What a great Mom. Who else influences your writing?
Melissa: I greatly look up to J.K. Rowling. I've reread the Harry Potter books more times than I can remember, studying her character development and dialogue.

Donna: I think I may be the only person who has never read Harry Potter or seen a Harry Potter film. You're making me think that maybe I should. How many books do you read monthly?
Melissa: I'm a very slow reader. When I do read, it usually takes me a month to finish one book. One of my faults is that I am an incredibly picky reader, but when I do find a book that sucks me in, I become obsessed with it.

Donna: I can relate to that. Please share something that has recently happened, or is about to happen in your life that you would like to share with our readers.
Melissa: My first blog tour is about to start. The Book Blast begins May 7 and the Tour runs from May 20 - 31st. I'm also very excited about my third novel. My test readers have it and my editor will be getting it this summer!

Donna: You have a great deal to be excited over. I will be sure to check out your blog tour. (dates and information are at the bottom of this interview). Where do you usually do your writing? Do you work in one spot?
Melissa: I tend to write at the kitchen table. I'm able to spread out my notes, have numerous cups of tea and not feel crowded.

Donna: That's a nice picture. What about the time of day? Do you have a preferred time that you write?
Melissa: A year ago I would have said 'morning' but now I'd say 'evening.' I am full of contradictions.

Donna: I wonder why you changed. Do you have a writing ritual? Please describe your process.
Melissa: I don't really have one. I like to have a cup of tea with me or if I'm working in the evening, a glass of wine. This is going to sound so really odd, but I don't really have a process. I'm always changing things up! But when I get an idea, I usually write it down, either in a notebook or directly into the computer. I write whenever I feel in the mood and don't fret about deadlines because I don't give myself any.

Donna: You sound veery relaxed and comfortable. What do you do if you feel blocked?
Melissa: I have three different plans of attack. 1. Talk to my mom or brother about what's giving me trouble. Working through the problem out loud with a fresh set of eyes gets the blood circulating. 2. Reread the previous chapters, revise them as I go, and hopefully inspiration strikes. 3. Walk completely away. Give the manuscript and myself some well needed time apart.

Donna: I can relate, especially to the first idea because I'm part of a writing team. Working out loud is very helpful. How do you celebrate your milestones?
Melissa: I keep things pretty close to my chest, but I  always tell my family.

Donna: Do you have any pet peeves about writing?
Melissa: I overuse unnecessary words like has, this, had. I also get annoyed with myself if I've used 'said' too often.

Donna: Sounds like you are tough on yourself. Is there a trailer available for your book?
Melissa: No. But I've been busy creating images of the cover with reviews and I'd like to do the same with excerpts.

Donna: What about writing websites? Do you have a favorite?
Melissa: Catherine Caffeinated has got some great links to formatting your work.

Donna: We'll have to check her out. Is there a piece of advice that you'd like to share with aspiring writers?
Melissa: Don't fret because fretting is a waste of time and energy. Have fun with it.

Donna: I love the word 'fret'. It's so expressive. You mentioned that you have a blog tour beginning soon...
Melissa: My first is being hosted by I Am A Reader, Not A Writer.

Donna: I wish you great success with your blog tour and with your book. Thank you so much for joining us today. We will be sending our very best thoughts your way for great success. Where can our readers find you?
Melissa: You too! Readers can find me at:
My blog: http://mllegette.com
Facebook: M-L-LeGette
Twitter: @MelissaLeGette
Pinterest: MelissaLeGette
The Tale of Mally Biddle (Paperback)



Tour Schedule for M.L.LeGette and The Tale of Mally Biddle
May 7th
Book Blast
May 20th
Crazy Four Books – Review
Mariela O. Blogs – Review
Spellbindings – Excerpt
Musings of a Blogder – Tens List
May 21st
Bookworms’ Avenue – Guest Post
Crafty Zoo with Monkeys – Guest Post
Lori’s Reading Corner – Guest Post
May 22nd
Pieces of Whimsy – Review & Fill in the Blank Interview
Scribbler’s Sojourn – Guest Post
Of Thoughts and Words – Review
May 23rd
Got Fiction? – Review
Getting Your Read On – Review
Word to Dreams – Spotlight
Laurie’s Thoughts & Reviews – Character Interview
May 24th
Froze8′s Blog – Vlog/Guest Post or Interview
Reader Girls – Review
Fantasy Books – Interview
Clean Teen Reads – Review
Books, DIY’s and Randomness – Review & Tens List or Guest Post
May 25th
Cuzinlogic – Interview
Book Broads – Review
May 26th
Mythical Books – Review
Peace From Pieces – Interview
Deal Sharing Aunt – Spotlight
May 27th
Rogue Mission – Review
Suzy Turner, YA Author – Interview
Pretty Opinionated – Guest Post
Sweeping Me – Excerpt
May 28th
The LUV*NV – Review
Pika Pages – Interview
Dustykatt’s Stuff – Review & Guest Post
Mel’s Shelves – Review
May 29th
Good Choice Reading – Interview
Must Read Faster – Review
May 30th
Books, Owls & Tea – Guest Post
Emi Gayle – Interview
Fire & Ice – Review
May 31st
Immerse in a World of Fiction – Review & Interview
The Muse Unleashed – Review
Recent Reads – Review
FLY HIGH! – Interview



Thanks for joining us today.
We're glad you're here.
Donna and Mike


Because we each have to find our own way... 
The Wayward Gifted: Broken Point 

A coming of age story loaded with angst & adventure 
 For adolescents through adults.
The Wayward Gifted - Broken Point