Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Day Thirteen - Novel Marketing

 I wonder if Jelly Fish get tired

I've been doing a lot of reading about marketing and selling indie books. I'm told that one of the most important things is getting reviews from Amazon's top reviewers. These are people who take the job of reviewing seriously. Contacting them is also serious work.

A while back Steve Weber "author and bookseller" wrote a guide called So you'd like to... Get your book reviewed on Amazon and boost your sales.  In his guide, Mr. Weber recommends contacting between 300 and 500 reviewers. From that he suggests that "you can expect to receive about 40 to 50 responses, and wind up with perhaps 35 reviews". 

I began working on this project last night. I'm looking through the reviewer profiles, first checking to see if they make their email address available. After that I look at what they say about themselves, and finally what they like to review. I then skim through several pages of their reviews to see if they are reviewing YA fiction. Once I identify a reviewer who may be interested in reading The Wayward Gifted I send an email. I also record their information, and the date they were emailed, in a spread sheet. 

I've read about 350 profiles, and from that I've identified about 35 who I felt comfortable emailing. Three have responded to let me know that they have more books than they can handle at the moment. A forth emailed and suggested that I pay for his reading time.

It looks like I have about a month of work ahead of me if the ratio of profiles to emails remains consistent. I'll have to go through between 3000 and 5000 profiles to find the 300 to 500 desired contacts I'm seeking. 

I won't have much time for writing, tweeting, facebook, or anything else until this project is completed. I'll keep you posted and let you know how it turns out.

That's enough for tonight. I'm so tired that I almost forgot about the blog.

Sweet dreams.